Addis Ababa University (Ethiopia)
Makerere University (Uganda)
University of Ghana
Welcome to the Africa Regional International Staff / Student Exchange: Food Security and Sustainable Human Wellbeing II Programme
The Africa Regional International Staff/Student Exchange: Food Security and Sustainable Human Wellbeing ARISE II Programme is designed to enhance mobility and collaborative research in the fields of Agriculture/ Food Security and Health Sciences. The programme focuses on the fields of Agriculture, Medical Sciences, Engineering and Energy, out of a commitment from the consortium to develop African capacity in Food Security and Sustainable Human Wellbeing.
This theme was selected in response to the mutual challenges of persistent poverty, food (in) security and health crises experienced by the countries in which the African partners are located. As such, this is strongly linked to meeting the Sustainable Development Goals.
Leveraging off the commitment by the consortium under ARISE, this programme aims to provide resources and opportunities for student and staff mobility throughout four regions of Africa, offering support for Masters and Doctoral studies as well as for shorter research and administrative visits between consortium partners. ARISE II will offer approximately 46 mobility opportunities.
A central tenet of ARISE II is to promote equity in higher education. The project therefore strongly encourages the participation of female candidates. In line with adherence to the principle of equity, the project will operate within the framework of promoting the cross-cutting tenets of equal opportunities, gender balance and participation by disadvantaged groups.
The Scholarship covers
• Roundtrip flight ticket and visa costs (using a preferred travel agent and calculated against direct linear distance)
• Participation costs such as tuition fees, registration fees and service fees where applicable
• Comprehensive Travel Insurance (Health, Accident and Travel)
• A monthly subsistence allowance for the mobility period
• Settling in Allowance
• Research Costs: only eligible to students on mobility for 10 months or more and to students who are registered for a minimum of 2 years. The distribution of funds from this pool shall be decided by the partners on the basis of the actual research needs of selected students. Students will be required to submit a budget for research.
• An extra allowance corresponding to the monthly subsistence allowances will be paid per academic year to female master students and doctoral candidates, for mobility equal or longer than 2 academic years.